HIGHLIGHTS FROM PRESENTATIONS: SECURITY
(Part 4 – SECURITY)
· Under PMB’s administration, the Nigerian Customs Service developed Standard Operational Procedures to ensure transparency in posting, promotion and recruitment.
· Under the Buhari administration, the Nigerian Customs Service has built an e-auction platform to ensure transparency and equal opportunities for all citizens.
· The Buhari-led administration has aligned the Nigerian Custom Service ranking structure with that of the Nigeria Police Force to give officers opportunities for aspirations and increased outputs.
· In order to reduce the rampant cases of smuggling, the Buhari-led administration introduced the policy banning importation of rice and vehicles through the land borders.
· The Anti-Smuggling activities carried out under the Buhari administration has led to seizures of illegal and banned goods, including 661 units of pump action rifles.
· The Nigerian Customs Service has generated 2,042,157,548,353.42 in revenue, from 2015 till date.
MINISTRY OF INTERIOR
· Following the signing of the Executive Order on Ease of doing business by President Muhammadu Buhari, the Ministry of interior through the Nigerian Immigration Service launched the Harmonized Arrival/Departure Cards to be used in all Nigerian International airports.
· Under the Buhari-Led administration, within two years, the Ministry through the Nigeria Immigration Service successfully reviewed the Nigeria Immigrations Regulations, which was last undertaken in 1963 by the then Minister of Internal Affairs.
· In order to counter insurgency, the Ministry of Interior under the Buhari led administration established Civil Authority in North East by deploying 5,000 personnel to the North-East to protect the Internally Displaced Persons’ (IDPs) camps and re-occupy the reclaimed towns and villages from the military.
· The Ministry in two years of Buhari’s administration was able establish a Multi-Agency Situation Room where incidents around Nigeria are monitored and communicated among the Ministry and its agencies.
· Under the Buhari-Led administration, the Ministry has begun the enforcement of the National Fire Safety/Building Code to address incidences of frequent outbreaks of fire across the country.
· The Ministry under President Muhammadu Buhari administration saw the need to protect the investment in the Agricultural Sector established an elite corps of 3000 Agro Rangers drawn from the NSDC to provide security and play a major role as mediators between conflicting pastoralists and farmers.
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
· President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration donated 2 x AW 101 Helicopter in the inventory of the Presidential Air Fleet to the Nigerian Airforce as well as 3 EC-135 while 3 Dauphin helicopters were transferred from the NNPC for deployment in the ground attack role in support of Operation LAFIYA DOLE in the North East.
· Under the Buhari Administration the Armed Forces have been able to decimate and degrade Boko Haram insurgents’ capacity and liberated areas which were previously controlled by the insurgents.
· Under the Buhari-led administration the military has been able to dislodge the insurgents from Sambisa forest and capture the infamous ‘CAMP ZERO’ at the heart of Sambisa forest.
· The Military under the Buhari-Led Administration has secured the release of over 12,000 persons held hostage by the terrorists including the release of 21 Chibok girls in the first batch and 82 Chibok girls in the second batch.
· The Ministry of Defense under the Buhari-led administration also Procured Military hardwares such as:
o Mine Resistant Ambush Protection vehicles, mine sweepers, mortals and ammunitions for the Nigerian Army.
o 60 inshore fast patrol boats, 2 new Ships (NNS Unity and CENTENARY)
o Falcon Eye Surveillance Project for the Nigerian Navy while Mi-35M helicopters.
o Yabhon Flash 20 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and others for the Nigerian Air Force.
· The Military under the Buhari-Led administration established the 8 Task Division in Monguno.
· Sequel to the capture of “Camp Zero”’ in Sambisa forest, the Nigerian Army conducted Small Arms Championship from 26th to 31st March 2017 which was a measure meant to enable the Armed forces to dominate the area and avoid regrouping by the terrorists.
· The Nigerian Airforce under Buhari-led administration conducted a counter-terrorist simulation called Operation Steel-Dome at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport.
· The Nigerian Army under the Buhari-Led administration launched Harbin Kunama in Dansadau forest, Zamfara aimed at flushing out armed bandits and cattle rustlers.
· The Nigerian Armed forces Operation Safe Haven under the Buhari-led administration has been able to recover a number of ammunitions and curtail the incessant clashes between Fulani herdsmen and farmers in Plateau, Nasarawa, and Benue states.
· The Nigerian Army under the Buhari-Led administration conducted Operation Crocodile Smile to curtail the menace of militant activities in the Niger-Delta with a number of Niger Delta Avengers arrested.
· The Nigerian Navy under the Buhari-Led administration also carried out exercise Obangame which aimed at securing and protecting the Gulf of Guinea.
· The Nigerian Army conducted Operation Awatse in the South West to flush out militants and saboteurs, and Operation Python Dance in the South East which has reduced the activities of kidnappers and criminal elements of the Indigenous People of Biafra.
· Under the Buhari-Led administration, Nigeria has produced a training manual, ‘’The Management And Deradicalization Of Violent Extreme Offenders” on de-radicalization for the Nigerian prisons.
· Under the Buhari a National Threat level guide has been developed, it is a reference material for organizations and individuals to use in the event of a potential terrorism threat; a Safety Guide to help individuals and organisations take safety measures against the threat of a terrorist attack has also been developed.
· Under President Buhari, intelligence gathering and strategic sharing has led to the significant arrest of Khalid ALBARNAWI, one of the most wanted terrorists in the world, and leader of Ansaru – the US had placed a $6M bounty on him; the arrests of Yunusa Enesi, an ISIS recruiter alongside 12 others, Abu Qosim, ‘Alhaji Baba’ involved in ISWAP, Amodu Salifu, an ISIS affiliate, and several others were facilitated through improved intelligence gathering and sharing.
· The recovery of over 280 Million from 12 Judges alleged to have been involved in corrupt practices.